Due to the impact of lockdown on much of Wales, the campsite closed earlier than scheduled on Monday 5th October.
We are currently on lockdown in Wales (Level 4) and will next open in 2021 when the Welsh Assembly Government gives permission.
Whitesands Camping® is the only campsite next to Whitesands beach.
Campers have stayed here since the 1930s. We adopt a family-focused and friendly approach to our visitors. No need to book in advance (we don't make bookings), just turn up, choose your pitch on the day and check in with the site office.
Main Site 30 pitches: tents, trailer tents, campervans and 'light' motorhomes Usually open from Easter school holidays through to the end of October.
Covid 19 We do our best to keep the new (August 2020) toilets and showers clean throughout the day. They are treated with anti-bacterial chemicals (BS EN 14476); paper is used for wiping all surfaces (rather than cloths); the new building has been designed without light switches, has self-flushing urinal and the latest automatic ventilation system; there are antibacterial dispensers available outside the facility; we provide toilet rolls, soap dispensers and hand air driers. In the current climate, campers are asked to ensure personal cleanliness at all times. Dogs are not allowed into the shower and toilet facility; and campers are asked not to wash down wetsuits in the showers to avoid clogging the drains with sand. Campers use the shared facilities at their own risk.
Farm Fields Tents plus accompanying vehicles, and trailer tents only; open in August; 13 acres of farm fields, or 10 football pitches.
Tariff and Terms Please go to this section of the website for details (updated daily during the season): http://whitesandscamping.co.uk/tariff-terms.html
Payment We accept payment by card (preferred) or cash.
Facilities A newly built Shower and Toilet Block was opened in August 2020. This has separate male and female sections and a disabled washroom. There are 5 hot showers (operated with tokens, available from the site office), an outside cold water wash-down shower, 6 toilets plus urinal, an outside sink for washing-up, and a grey waste point. There are electric hook-ups on the main site ("first come first served", they cannot be booked in advance), and water taps dotted about the place. On site, you can book surf lessons and hire equipment in peak season; windbreaks and recliners can also be rented at the beach car park. Broadband Wi-Fi is available on site (charge made by Dragon WiFi, first 10 minutes free).
We do not cater for caravans or very large 'A' Class motorhomes or recreational vehicles (RVs). There are other nearby sites inland that specialise in these.
- October 2020 - St Davids Cathedral and Wales Coastal Path chosen in list of "top 100 unmissable world travel experiences" by Lonely Planet.
- July2020 - Whitesands chosen in list of 'top 50 UK beaches' by Travel section of The Sunday Times.
- July 2020 - St Davids placed in the Which top ten UK Seaside Towns.
- January 2020 - Whitesands New Year Swim (in aid of local charities). Registration at 1100 - Enter Water at 1200. Annual event.
- September 2019 - Open National Surf Championships (slsgb.org.uk) held at Whitesands; and archaeological dig of St Patrick's Chapel right next to the beach.
- August 2019 - 'Lonely Planet' guide lists Pembrokeshire Coast National Park in the 'top 10' (of 500) sights to visit in the UK.
- July 2018 - Sunday Times Travel section chose Whitesands as one of the "top 50 beaches in the UK", and recommended Whitesands Camping® as "the best place to stay" to enjoy the beach.
- 2014 - Whitesands Camping came top of the Weather Channel's "Ten Coolest Campsites in Britain": "Once you're in Britain’s smallest city, St Davids, take a drive down a winding country road to reach Pembrokeshire’s renowned Blue Flag beach, Whitesands. Here you will find Whitesands Camping®; a low-key, no-fuss spot with the best views around and effortless access to the beach. Nights are the real highlight: as the beach empties, campers at Whitesands more or less have their own private patch of sand – perfect for games and BBQs as the sun fades and the moon gradually illuminates the sea".
- Whitesands Beach was chosen as the Countryfile Magazine "Beach of the Year 2014/15". It is a Blue Flag beach (meeting stringent water standards) and is recommended by the Marine Conservation Society for high quality water.
Live image of Whitesands Beach on webcam: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dTme7Rj-A6w
The Beach Café is open for most of the year. The "Coaster" bus travels back and fore to St Davids between 30th March and 30th September (0835 to 1835 during the summer months); and the beach is manned by RNLI Lifeguards over the same period (daily between May and September). Pembrokeshire Coast National Park imposes a dog ban on Whitesands Beach between 1st May and 30th September. The coast path, Whitesands dunes and nearby Porthsele or Porth Melgan beaches (15 minutes away) do not have dog restrictions. The site accepts well behaved owners and their dogs.
So, if you want a relaxed, no-frills tent site, situated right next to a stunning beach with "the best views around" - then Whitesands Camping® should be your first choice!